top of page
Click Itinerary button above to Download as PDF for more details & links
DATES FOR 2023:
Saturday 29 July: Bamberg
- Arrive Bamberg. Meet hosts at Biergarten / Gästehaus (tbd) by 6 pm.
Sunday 30 July: Bamberg (Malt)
- breakfast in the Gästehaus.
10 am - Walking tour of Bamberg, including brewery tour (tbd) and Brewery Museum
1 pm - Lunch at Kronprinz Biergarten
3 pm - Schlenkerla brewery tour and tasting
6 pm - Dinner at Spezialkeller brewery
Spend the afternoon and evening exploring the food and beers in this truly gemütlich & significant beer town (and UNESCO world heritage site)- boasting 9 breweries & 50 beer types for it’s 70K or so residents.
Monday 31 July: Bamberg - Žatec (Hops) - Prague
- Wake early to breakfast in the Gästehaus.
8:30 am - Van departs for Weyermann Malt House
1:30 pm - Meet at Hop Museum Lunch in Žatec brewery
3:30 pm - Meet at Hop Research Institute for tour
7 pm - Van leaves for Prague
* Optional evening tour of Prague Pivo
This is going to be a long “Pack-it-in” day, but a wonderful one!! Starting at the Weyermann malting house, established 1879 and “world market leader in specialty malts”, on to Žatec - the home of Saaz noble hops - with a 700 year history of its cultivation and use in brewing. We will end in Prague, where you can either call it a day, or head out with your hosts for a night walk along the Czech national river.
Tuesday 01 August: Prague - Berlin
- breakfast on your own in hotel
* Optional tour with hosts of Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock and other “tourist” sites.
1:30 pm - Meet for lunch at Strahov Monastery Brewery
3:30 pm - Van leaves for Berlin
* Optional visit to Berlin biergarten for schnitzel und brezeln und Bier (natürlich)
Although you need 4 days to really check out Prague, you will have the morning to explore the main attractions of this capital of the Czech Republic. Your hosts will guide you to their favorite sites, or feel free to go around on your own. We will meet at Strahov monastery (brewery) for lunch and a few glasses of “Pivo” on monastery grounds dating back to the 12th Century. You’ll then get a chance for a road trip nap while we make our way to Berlin on the “Autobahn”. Once in Berlin you are welcomed to join your hosts for a night out at our favorite beer gardens, or...
Wednesday 02 August: Berlin
- breakfast on your own in hotel
* Optional tour with hosts of Berlin (Berlin wall, Jewish museum, Underground...)
2:30 pm - Meet at Südstern brewery
4 pm - Arrive Brewdog (formerly Stone brewing). Tour of facility and more.
Berlin is another town where at least 4 days or more are needed to really get a feel for its culture, art, science, and of course, beer! Again, you are invited to join your hosts as we visit our favorite locales, or venture out on your own. Berlin has world class public transit, so getting around is easy! We will meet for lunch at Südstern brewery, then jump on bikes to make our way to brewdog for a tour of the former Stone brewery as it transitions ownership.
Thursday 03 August: Berlin (Yeast) - Hamburg
- Up early for breakfast in hotel
9 am - UBahn to VLB (Versuchs- und Lehranstalt für Brauerei in Berlin e.V.).
12 pm - Lunch at biergarten Schleusenkrug
2 pm Van / Train leaves for Hamburg
Berlin’s VLB is one of the 3 most important brewing schools in Germany - meaning it’s one of the top worldwide!! There we will get a chance to see brewing research on a scale that your most experienced “craft” breweries never even considered. From there we will lunch at Schleussenkrug at the edge of Berlin’s Tiergarten (main central park). From there we will jump on the train to Hamburg, Germany's 2nd largest city after Berlin). Once in Hamburg, your hosts will give you an overview tour of this important harbor city.
Friday 04 August: Hamburg (Water)
- breakfast at Casa de Dammann.
10:30 am - Harbor tour
1 pm - Lunch at Astra Biergarten
3 pm - Meet at Kehrwieder Brewery for tour & tasting.
8 pm - “Feierabend”
What better way to start our foundation on brewing water than ON the water! Hamburg’s history as a port town (3rd largest in Europe) goes back to the 1st Century - destroyed and rebuilt many times after invasions by Vikings, Polish Kings, Danish raids, and even the black plague in the 1300’s. We’ll then relax on the banks of the Elbe with Hamburg’s go-to beer at the Astra biergarten. From there we’ll check out one of Hamburg’s most creative craft breweries. We end the day with a traditional German “Feierabend” (look it up - doesn’t translate well).
Saturday 05 August: Hamburg
- breakfast at Casa de Dammann
10:30 am - Depart for Ratsherrn Brewery - tour, tasting and lunch
1 pm - UBahn to Reeperbahn / St. Pauli.
*Return to Casa de Dammann to pack up / decompress
6 pm - Beach BBQ and farewell “fire ceremony”
Our last day in Hamburg (and last day for our Study Abroad adventure), we’ll keep it slow and low. We start with relaxing breakfast and make our way to another interesting Hamburg craft brewery - Ratsherrn. From there, we work our way through the neighborhood of St. Pauli, Hamburg’s “entertainment district #1”, and famous for being the location for the launch of the Beatles’ live performances. We’ll give you some down-time to organize your luggage, and head out to the banks of the Elbe for our last supper.
Sunday 06 August: Hamburg - your next destination
- Breakfast at Casa de Dammann: rest of the day on your own (with your host’s support)
*FYI - One of the best Hamburg experiences is the Fish Market. Doesn’t sound exciting, but the most bizarre combo of tourists, market shoppers and partiers returning from their night out. It’s from 5:30 am to 9:30 am, so up and at-em if you’re able!! (I recommend smoked eel and an astra for breakfast).
Important Trip Details
- Costs included in the itinerary - all transportation to all scheduled events, lodging, tours and *breakfasts (breakfasts in Europe tend to be bread, cheese, granola, yogurt & coffee and juice).
- Lodging - based on double occupancy. If you want a private room, the cost will increase.
- Beer - all tastings at breweries are included.
- Your transportation to Bamberg and from Hamburg are on your own (your hosts will give you all the best options to get to and from these cities if you need guidance).
- The best airport to fly in / out of is in Frankfurt.
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 will hold your seat. The balance will be due by May 31st. (*MBA can set-up a payment plan for you as well).
- Our max is 6, so reach out soon if you are interested!
- NOT included: airfare; beers in addition to brewery tastings; lunches / dinners; transportation outside of scheduled events.
bottom of page